Happy New Years

Resolutions? No but maybe some projects and a few goals. I know this past year I started reading my devotions and was quite faithful at it...but then life seamed to get into the way and well I quit. This year this is my main goal. To do my devotions as soon as I get up with coffee in the morning. I know with the help from God I can do this. If I can Blog daily I can do this.
Projects you ask? Well...my parents and Scott's parents (who left this morning) are going to Florida...Scott's parents go until May and this year my parents are going. See my dad retires Friday after almost 40 years of work at the same place. Scared...I believe he is. But...he is ready to spend countless days with my kids I know.. anyhoo....my parents leave mid January...scare you may ask...I'm terrified. I'm never away from my mom for more than 2 weeks at a time. If you have been around my blog for awhile....she and I do something weekly she watches Miller at least once a week for me...they watch the kids so I can have a social life..quit laughing Jessica.....and well....it's going to be all gone for a month and a half..some of you say that isn't very long and its not really....but my mom and I are verrrrry close and well...I'm a big baby. Okay projects you said? Okay I have an armoire that I want to paint red and then black over it.....this will probably take 2 days to do....then I want to paint my fireplace mantle black.......I need to get back into my genealogy and I plan on homeschooling Miller a little this winter/spring for pre school. He is only 2....so it shouldn't be very hard. I have some crafts planned for me and him and a few field trips.....this should all keep me busy while my parents are off living it up golfing in southern Florida. I'm really happy for them don't get me wrong...just being selfish.

Today for New Years....I'm making a Roast with brown gravy....mashed potatoes, turnip greens, black eyed peas and a hammock, deviled eggs, and a homemade Coconut Cake.....my dad's favorite. Yes we are a little southern. We are having a family dinner in the dining room and Madison is going to mama's for the night and spending the day with mama tomorrow. Miller and I are just trying to heal from our sickness over the holidays so we are hanging here. Scott is off today and watching some football.

I hope you all have a great New Year...I have met some great new friends out there and will share them with you this week sometime......

Comments

Christina said…
I like your idea of doing devotions first thing in the morning with coffee and of course creamer. I am going to do this one too.

Glad to hear your dad retired, I am sure he will get used to it. Too bad they will be away living it up. It is definitely hard being away from parents. When I lived in NJ and my older kids were little I saw my mom at least weekly, it was hard to get used to moving around without them. I still call them daily. Thank God for unlimited long distance.

Great comment you left on my blog about cliques. What are we all supposed to do never hang around with people who share things in common with us. It's like I told my daughter the people at youth group who like surfing are not going to hang with people who don't, they will gravitate toward people who like surfing, this does not exclude other people it is just something they like to do together once in awhile. They hang together mostly, but sometimes they go surfing. I really think this is a normal part of life, not cliquish.
Hey Jen...

Happy New Year! Your New Years dinner sounds lovely. Coconut cake is one of my favorites. We vacationed to Charleston, S.C. this past summer, and ate at a place called the Peninsula Grille. Greatest coco cake EVER! I loved it so much, I ordered one for Thanksgiving and had it delivered.

I know what you mean about being a little nervous and selfish in regards to your parents. I have been there. It's a bittersweet thing....wanting them to be happy but at the same time knowing you'll miss them. Sounds like they'll miss you all just as much!!! (HUGS)
Laura said…
Happy New Year Jen! I can relate with not having mom around. My mom moved across the country from BC to Ont in 2006 and I still haven't recovered. It was nice having them here for Christmas but now I miss them even more. Sigh....
I don't usually do resolutions but I like yours about devotions, I need to be more consistent this year!

Fun that your parents are getting to retire; change is always hard when you're used to having them around more.
You sound busy and industrious as usual! Happy New Year Jen...I've enjoyed visiting you this year too!
Rick said…
Happy New Year! I am celebrating the 1st anniversary of my blog by conducting a simple give-away and I am inviting everyone that I can to come and take a look. There's no catch - just fun.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/
Happy New Year's! You guys are having a feast tonight!! Wow! I need to move down south so I can learn to cook like that!

My mom lives 7 hours away so I don't have the blessing of having her close. I hope the time flies 'til she is back living close to you!

-Andrea
Mrs. S. said…
I wish I'd had what you had for New Year's dinner!

Love your blog, and I so agree with the coffee thing at the top of the page.. Thanks for stopping by mine!
jennwa said…
Your dinner sounds so Yummy!!! We went to Chuck E Cheese, not the same.
I hope you have a great New Year!!!
As We Sail... said…
I made a new post this morning and to my surprise as I was just reading yours it seems we have the same new years goal. Maybe lots of us feel guilty about being slack in our Bible reading.
Michelle said…
happy new year! I can certainly understand you being selfish about missing your mom while she's in FL! I hope the time goes by quickly for you :)
Happy New Year Jen! I am wanting to read more devotionals this year also. In fact, I just posted a question of the day about this over at my blog. Great minds think alike! I read mine most of last year, but had a lapse in the summer for a few months. I hope to do better this year also :)

Good list of projects, hope you guys get those done and you have fun. I can't imagine how much you will miss your mom, but I hope the time flies for you. Think how much fun you'll all have when they get back from FL! :)

Have a great day, a great week and a great year in 2008 :)
Happy New Years to you too!

Ours was super low key... Hubs was up at 3 AM hunting, decorations taken down, house a mess, so quick and easy dinner. I've committed the ultimate southern sin! No cabbage, no black-eyed peas etc...

maybe next year!

Blessings,
Karla
Disney for Boys said…
Wow, this is amazing but we had the same exact meal for New Years! Coconut cake and all!

I was purging my email today and found an email from waaay back. I am so sorry to not have gotten back to you sooner.

You have a lovely blog here! I'm not sure why you cant comment on my blog, very weird. I'm sorry it has given you problems in the past.

Well, as for schooling your little one I have one suggestion , it is the only thing or format I have used for my Little's and it is FREE!

Just go to http://www.letteroftheweek.com she has planned out everything to teach for each week and you make a cute little poster to coincide with the week. My boys have all loved this.

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions please feel free to email me!

Blessings,
Tiany
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/tiany
Tina Leigh said…
DONT YA JUST LOVE BEING SOUTHERN!! We eat good down here, dont we Jen! I signed a 6 month contract that started last weekend...working only friday, saturday & sunday. I will miss church reallly bad & a lot of my church family is mad because I did that but I really need the stability of the same schedule. I make a good bit more of money but the money is not why I'm doing it....there are many reasons..mainly the "Little Package". Any who..I say all of that to say....I am having to be real careful with my spiritual life so that I dont get in a pit. The devotions are a big part of it too. Our church is also reading the Bible thru this year so between that & wednesday night service...maybe I'll continue to grow. Jen it is cold here this morning....burrrr!!