Sunday, September 30, 2007
My menu planning is below....so keep reading.
This week will be busy...are you ready?
1. This morning I go for my bikini wax....yes I know ouch. Then I have dr appointment this afternoon and dropping some things off at a furniture consignment store. Madison has an eye dr appointment after school.
2. I have to finish laundry and start packing this week we leave for Florida on Friday....hooray!
3. Madison has her last game to cheer at for the season is finally over. I have a hair appointment and nail appointment....meeting a friend for coffee this week and shop for some fun travel toys.
4. Our MOPS meeting is this week.....we are doing First Aid Car Kits....this will be exciting.
5. One day tis week I get to watch my friends little girl all day....she is still a baby....baby fever ladies......
6. I need to download some new songs to the MP 3 player for Madison....
I could go on and on...I'm literally busy everyday except Tuesday which is designated for cleaning and packing....
I do however feel alot better...I kicked the cold.
My meal plan this week is as follows
Monday....Sloppy Joes and chips
Tuesday....Chicken Casserole by Paula Deen and fruit.
Wednesday...church super...pot roast, potatoes veggie roll and dessert.
Thursday.... frozen pizza and fruit....
Friday....out of town...Florida or Bust....
For more meal planning please go see dear Laura @ Organize Junkie....
One More Thing to add friends.....Overwhelmed with joy is hosting a Holiday Cooking..Friday October 5th.....she did this last year and had over 200 favorite holiday recipes submitted..so dig through your recipes and get to posting them....I cannot wait to read all the different ones for the holidays coming up.....so please advertise for everyone for her......get the word out...
I hope you all have a great week....talk to you soon.
Friday, September 28, 2007
How are you today?
Well...I have been better. I have a cold and my nose is running like the river.
Name 3 television shows you watch on a regular basis.
2. Young and the Restless
3. Tiger & Pooh
What’s the scariest weather situation you’ve experienced?
We lived in Florida and went through Hurricane Opel which was a category 3.....pretty scary stuff if you ask me. I saw a ladies fence fly across the street.
If you could wake up tomorrow morning in another country, where would you want to be?
Ireland...I have always wanted to go there.
What do you usually wear to sleep?
tank top and pajama pants
For more...go visit Friday's Feast
Thursday, September 27, 2007
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
For more Works for me Wednesday....go see Shannon @ Rocks in my Dryer.
I love all the great things that go with fall like...the crisp air, apple cider, home town football games, velor jumpsuits, caramel and pumpkin spice creamers, snuggling up under an afghan, I could go on all day....but the best thing about this time of year is the new shows on tv.........did anyone see Chuck last night? How about Dancing with the Stars? I love this time of year...Survivor, Journeyman, Dirty Sexy Money......Earl, the Office....I can go on all day people.....which is your favorite? I know Lost isn't on until February....what is up with that?
I hope you all have a great Tuesday....I'm off for coffee at Starbucks with a friend......
Monday, September 24, 2007
I was given this sweet award by Sandra @ Diary of a Stay at home mom......she is so nice......I dont get many awards......none as far as I can remember........I think I'm supposed to award some more with this.....People who make me smile...hmmmm...The sentiment behind this award:
the thing that I love most about blogging is that I learn so much about a person just by reading their blog. I have met MANY wonderful people with wonderful stories to tell,and I am grateful every day for each person that I have the pleasure of crossing paths in life with.I wanted to create something special for people who have inspired me through their blogging; the stories they tell, and the lives that they lead with grace and dignity. I visit their blogs for inspiration and encouragement.Although there are MANY people I want to give this award to at this very moment, I am going to choose ten bloggers:Please grab your badge and wear it(with a smile) proudly, and pass it on because you inspire and encourage me, thank you.So, now it is my turn to pass it on.....sorry I chose eleven.
1. Gail @ More than a Song.....
2. Katherine @ Raising Five
3. Chrissa @ Ramblings of a Stay Home Mom
4. Kim @ Kim's Candor
5. Chappyswife @ Journey to the prize
6. Barb @ A Chelsea Morning.....of course...everyone has given you this award....you just make us all smile....
7. Laura @ Organize Junkie
8. Kelli @ No Place Like Home
9. Pattie @ Stolen Moments
10. Stacy @ Exceedingly Mundane
11. Tina @ Blessings in the South
That was fun...and thanks for the award.....actually all of my friends make me smile.....
Now for my Menu Plan Monday......
Monday.......Sausage Soup and Homemade Rolls
Wednesday...church supper...hamburger steak, gravy, mashed potatoes, veg...roll and dessert
Thursday....Quesadillias and Rice
Saturday.....Grilled Pork Chops baked potatoes....fried squash
Sunday.......Meatloaf mashed potatoes green beans and homemade bread
Dessert of the week....Apple Dumplings
For more Meal Planning go visit my dear fried Laura @ Organize Junkie....
I have been visiting some new blogs and thought I would share them with you all.....
Andrea @ Sgt and Mrs. Hub....she is great....very down to earth..a military wife and pregnant with #3......
Kathleen @ The Open Window....I have been reading her for awhile...but just added her to my blog list...she is so awesome and hosts several fun things throughout the year.
Karen @ Over the Back Yard Fence....I really enjoy her....she can write. I feel like I'm sitting with her when I read about what is going on....sitting back with my coffee.
I have started checking new ones out...some of my blog friends have chosen not to continue blogging so I will be taking them off........I will miss them and hope they come see me first if they resume it back......
I have a crazy week as usual. 2 weeks until we leave for Florida.....whoo hoo...I cannot wait....dear Laura sent me a travel organizing check list for my trip she is soooooo great.
Madison has a game this week to cheer at. She also gets to cheer with the highschool cheerleaders on Friday night at the Highschool football game. Our annual BBQ on the River is this weekend and I cannot miss it great BBQ ALL WEEKEND PEOPLE. I have to get my Jeep serviced and tires rotated this week. Pick up last minute prescriptions for the trip....and start thinking of what we need to pack. Miller has an appointment this week and we are going to the library. My ladies motherwise bible study started last Wednesday night and it is awesome.....Mops started and is awesome...I guess that is a little of what is going on with me. Tell me what is going on with you.
Sunday, September 23, 2007
Thursday, September 20, 2007
1. Nate is in remission.....Praise our sweet God. He is still under going chemo for hidden cancer cells. But he is running and playing and everything a 6 year old boy can do right now. My dear friend K is homeschooling him after she gets off from teaching 20+ students of her own.....pray for her and her strength through this.
2. Hillary...sweet sweet Hillary. Her blog is the first on my site. We were informed since she had no insurance she will have to be moved to a nursing home or assisted living facility. Her family is devastated.....please check their blog out and pray for them.
3. Our 2nd MOPS meeting went really well today....new faces...fantastic. It was on friendships today. It was great.
4. Madison tried out for the school news and got photographer....she is pretty excited about this.
5. I'm having a yard sale Saturday.....why do I keep doing this to myself?
Right now I just want you all to know that I have been so blessed by meeting all of you in blog land. I have and am blessed with many girlfriends.....and you guys just double it...the whip cream on top. I thank you for that.
I'll be back for Girl Talk on Friday. Have a great day today.
Sunday, September 16, 2007
Welcome to Paducah, Kentucky. Grab your coffee or coke.....buckle up we have alot of driving to do . I'm so glad you came to visit. This is our rest stop...the first thing you see coming off the interstate. It's and old mansion that was restored by the state into a rest stop. They have tours and at Christmas it is beautiful.
I told you it is beautiful......when I went to Prom back in the early 90's this is where we would get pictures made at......it is so southern.....so Gone with the Wind dont ya think?
We have a district downtown called Lowertown.....some artists from around the world have come to Paducah and bought old homes and renovated them.....they have their shops inside ranging from coffee shops, to resteraunts to art gallery's...it is really nice to take an afternoon and stroll from home to home and check out the before and after of these old homes. Back in the old days people named their homes after themselves.....so I thought I would share with you their names.
The Mary Jane
We took a break while taking our pictures and Miller enjoyed an ice cream cone.....at the Old Fashioned Ice Cream Shoppe downtown........
Here is me and Madison at the riverfront.....this sign welcomes boats going down the Ohio river.
Here is the Farmers Market where we go every Friday morning to get fresh produce....it's a great place.
Here is the Market House...it is now a theater where Madison took acting lessons but back in the early 1900's it was the first Market for farmers to come and sell there produce. Horses actually pulled wagons up to it.....amazing.
Here is the famous Quilt Museum.....where thousands of quilters come in April.....it's huge for our town. We have officially been named Quilt City USA!!!!!
We have a flood wall next to our beautiful Ohio River......and there has been a painter who has painted it over the years with different scenes of Paducah through out the years.....I'm showing you some pictures as this is so very important to our community....riverboats from all over dock here to look at these beautiful murals.......There are over 20 pictures but I chose just a few to show you......
The Indians......Paducah was named for Cheif Paduke....
Alben Barkley was one of our Vice Presidents of the United States.....he lived here in Paducah and was a huge part of our community. Madison did a report on him and made an A....if you want to know anything about this man...just ask her.
The next picture is the Ohio River back in the late 1800's...ferrys where docked here.
This is what my Papaw Dub did for a living.he drove barges down the river....this picture above is special to us.
This one is of the Paducah Summer Festival which is held the third week in July...its hot but thousands come out for it.....it lasts a whole week and ends with fireworks...
This is a picture of the church I grew up in.....Scott and I also got married here on February 26, 1994......I was only 19 years old. And I'm still totally in love with him.
This is our Four Rivers Center....this is where we have huge concerts, plays, musicals......the Proms are all here now and huge dances.......Last Comic Standing is coming here in November!
Remember my grown up Prom we went to last Christmas???? This is where we went....it is on the Ohio River.....
Speaking of the Ohio River here it is....we live very close to it....my Papaw Dub drove barges down it for a living and dug for mussels in this river along with my great grandfather too......the river is very important to our family.
Here I'am in front of the river.......we take Miller down here for picnics alot....
Well....that is it......we had so much fun taking you around our town.....if you ever want to come back...you can stay with us or I know of some great Bed and Breakfasts......we love our town...Scott and I both grew up here and are raising our children here. We wouldn't have it any other way. We are down home southern people....just call us when your in town I will have some ice tea and cookies waiting.....or if it's the evening we will have margaritas.....my way!
Saturday, September 15, 2007
Friday, September 14, 2007
This week has been a little crazy.
Here is what happened.....
Madison had 2 tests and to re site the Preamble to her history teacher....remember those days?
We had gymnastics and cheerleading...uniforms are lost..but got our hair ribbon.
Got some more things for the house.....decor that is.
Had church Wednesday night.
Got things done on my day off no kids.....had lunch with Scott and got Miller some travel toys.
Wrote out some cards to friends and family.
Our weekend isn't too bad. We are going to dinner with friends tonight...Miller is going to mom's and Madison to church. Saturday Madison cheers without a uniform and then we are headed to Lowe's for the rest of the blinds for the house. Scott finally put my border up in the kitchen....looks very good. Sunday is church and we have gone to 3 Sunday Schools and 3 church services.....so it gets a little nuts.....
I had alot of responses to my getting organized for Christmas......I cant wait to get started on it. I hope you will do it with me.
Well, I'm off to take Madison to school.......I'm just taking it easy today picking up around the house do a little laundry....Happy weekend everyone!
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
I havent done one of these in a long time......but for more ideas to help us get through everyday life go visit Shannon @ Rocks in My Dryer....
My Works for me Wednesday is about getting myself organized for this years holidays.....I have surfed for some organizing tips and found a few I would like to share.
1. First of all we have 104 days until Christmas......I know quit rolling your eyes...LOL!
2. You need a plan...make a folder for Christmas...even if its on line....start planning your meals, parties, gifts you want and gifts you need to buy for....homemade gifts, teacher & Sunday School teachers gifts, go to this website...for some inexpensive ways to to make someone smile during the holidays.
3. When you plan out your menu's.....think of casseroles you can freeze ahead of time or do Barb's Burritos for those nights you have been out and need to get dinner in a hurry.
4. Prepare now so you wont be in a pinch then. I know you have Halloween and Thanksgiving to get through... so do I.....If you do something small a day...it wont be so bad December 20th.
5. Start picking up small things at the grocery...baking goods that will stay and canned goods too, sugars.....brown, white and powdered.
6. Get your Christmas cards out and address 5 each day...you will have them done by October.
7. Start a layaway somewhere to help out with Christmas gifts.....stocking stuffers..start picking them up now.
8. Start looking at recipes...gifts that are homemade...gifts in jars are great ideas and there are alot recipes online.
9. But overall...this website has a planner.....It has a 6 week "get it together" before the holidays course.....I'm taking it...if you take it please let me know...maybe we can get through the holidays together.....
There are so many ways you can get prepared and have a laid back Christmas......I hope this helps.....
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Well.......today is the anniversary of 9/11. I probably could have chosen another picture....but this is America to me....Apple Pie...Flags.....I cannot believe its been 6 years. Seems like yesterday. It's all over the news. Yet we still watch it as if it happened last week.
Devastation. Lives lost. Today is for their families...say a prayer....
As we go on with our lives today take a moment and remember those children without their moms or dads....remember those parents who lost a child...remember the brothers and sisters who lost and remember our policeman and firefighters who lost....as we go on today with everyday chores and everyday tasks.....take a time and say a prayer....Pray to God and thank him that we are free....
Monday, September 10, 2007
It's Menu Plan Monday...and I have done mine. Go visit Laura @ Organize Junkie to see more menu planning.
Monday.....White Beans and Ham in the slow cooker with Homemade Bread
Tuesday....Leftovers from Monday
Wednesday...Church Family Supper Night..spaghetti tossed salad...bread and dessert
Thursday......Poppyseed Chicken...Mac & cheese....green beans and bread
Friday......dinner out with friends
Saturday.....Three Cheese Enchiladas
Sunday.......BLT'S and chips.....yum...getting the last of the seasons tomatoes in
I have alot going on this week....wanna here?
1. Miller has a haircut appointment this morning....bring on the suckers
2. I have been sick in the house all weekend with a stomach bug so I need to get out in the public to prove to myself I'm alive.
3. Madison has gymnastics & cheerleading this week. We get uniforms this week too.
4. We have church this week and I have a Steering Team meeting with MOPS this week.
5. I have a nail appointment this week.
6. I'm going to stat taking some pictures for Kathleen's Welcome to my neighborhood starting 9/17....this will be fun.
7. Taking Miller to storytime Thursday morning at 10am...at the library. Then to lunch.
8. Madison has a game Saturday morning...Scott will be working..so it will be me and Miller.
9. Grandparents week is this week. I'm making my parents a Peanut Butter Pie from the kids.
I think that is it....I will be cleaning the house today some too. Bathrooms need attention. And I need to dust some.
Also I want to thank those of you who helped me out on travel ideas for Miller.....looks like its DVD'S!!!!! And some new toys he hasn't seen yet. Some people mentioned a cookie sheet with magnets....I'm going for that one too. Me and my friend C who have boys the same age and are going on vacation the same week to different places are going to go shopping for some things and coffee one day.....should be fun.
I hope all of you are having a fantastic Monday...by the way we have had rain all weekend....much needed. I watched some new movies this weekend since I was sick...
The Da Vinci Code
Memoirs of a Geisha
An Unfinished Life...Robert Redford
Meet the Fockers...again..I always laugh so hard.
I'll come by and visit when we get back from running errands this morning.
Friday, September 07, 2007
Well, Overwhelmed with Joy is hosting her Favorite Ingredient Friday Italian Edition...I love Italian food....soooooo here goes.......The Italian Soup is great comfort food so make a copy and make it this fall or winter and make some bread to go with it.....it is so very good. And the Orzo Pasta is great for a quick lunch.....Miller and Madison love it. Scott and I are going on a date tonight to a fancy resteraunt....I'm excited. I'm going to make breakfast Happy Friday.
One more thing to add.....in my sidebar I have added my friend Hillary's web page so you can pray for her and see her beautiful face.......please pray for her......and her son....
Italian Sausage Soup
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 8 ounces fresh tortellini pasta
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a 5 quart Dutch oven, brown sausage. Remove sausage and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- Saute onions and garlic in drippings. Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from the soup. Stir in zucchini and parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add tortellini during the last 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.
Try with a Pinot Grigio .
Orzo Pasta with Parmesan & Basil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in orzo and saute until lightly browned.
- Stir in chicken stock and bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Mix in Parmesan cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to shallow bowl. Garnish with basil sprigs.
Thursday, September 06, 2007
I need to go to the grocery sometime today. Miller is out of baby wipes....we had no coffee in the house today....I swung into the Java House on may to church and grabbed a Cappuccino. YUMMY!
This week has gone by rather fast with Monday being a holiday. I have been emailing some friends on travel ideas for Miller. We leave in 4 weeks for Florida and I need some ideas on how to pre occupy him. We are however splitting it into 2 days.....Everyone says the DVD player and movies.....which I'm going to do. No problem there.
Our church started family dinners up last night...which I love we 4 can eat for $8 and you get a home cooked meal and dessert.....a nice sit down meal and I dont have to cook it or clean up...I'm so there.
I hope each of you are doing well today I'm planning on coming by to see you. Miller just went down to nap. I'm so blessed to have such great friends on line and off.
I do however need a favor...fist an update....Nate is in remission. PRAISE GOD....he still has a way to go. Keep those prayers coming. My dear friend K the teacher is home schooling him 2 days a week on top of her own life and family. Keep her lifted in prayer. She is so awesome.
My sister came home and is now gone back. We had a nice visit. She is good.
My prayer request today is a friend of mine was involved in a car accident..... Hilary. I'm giving you her name as when you pray to our sweet God that you name her personally. See Hilary is 26 years old and has a son Max that is 5. Hilary was in her convertible and lost control and flipped it several times and had no seat belt on...she was thrown 75 feet and landed on the pavement. They had to remove a clot from her brain 2 days ago. When I got the call I thought she was dead. I cried for Max and her parents. Hilary is divorced but they still have a great relationship. The doctors say she will recover...Praise God. She moves her right side of her body when she hears Max talk. They have her in a coma she has a collapsed lung, broken bones in her face....she is so strong...they said she would have some short term memory loss. Hilary is a good mom. And a wonderful person. Keep her family in your prayers.....pray she heals fast and when they wake her she remembers everyone. Pray for Max.
I have rambled enough......look at your kids today or grandchildren. Hold them. You just never know when things will go wrong.
Life is too precious to complain or worry about......we are supposed to live it.
Tuesday, September 04, 2007
I started reading this one...The Sparrows Nest a couple of weeks ago and just love her.....
I found this one and this one through The Sparrows Nest just visiting....and I really enjoy them both....I really love Cottage life.
Now...alot of you know Kelli @ There is no place like home....but go check out her surprise today its pretty cool.
And Lynn @ One way or Another....I really enjoy talking with her..its like talking with an old friend.
Kathleen at The Open Window is hosting Welcome to my Neighborhood on September 17th go check out the info it seems pretty cool and I'm doing it....so why dont you all too......
I hope you all have a great Tuesday. I'm going out with F&P to a water park.....
Monday, September 03, 2007
So this is what my week looks like.
1. It's Labor Day....so we have worked in the yard and done laundry all day.
2. I have our first MOPS meeting of the 2nd year Thursday...so since I'm a discussion group leader I will need to be calling my gals tomorrow.
3. I also handle Hospitality and need to finish with the door prizes.
4. Madison is trying out for choir at church.
5. We start family night at church this week. Finally a night off to eat with friends and its not too $$$.
6. Gymnastics and Cheerleading...along with a game Saturday.
7. My girlfriend J's birthday.....taking her to lunch and we go out for dinner with our hubbies Friday night....very excited.
8. Scott's parents leave for Las Vegas on Saturday afternoon.....Viva Las Vegas.
9. Going to a water park with my dear friend F and her son P who just turned one.(they just flew home from California so I'm excited we get one on one tomorrow)
10. Going shopping Wednesday for interior things for the home and have some returns.
11. Friday is grocery day.
12. Thursday afternoon going up around the lake to go to some shops with mom.
That's about it for the week in advanced. I hope you all are having a blessed holiday. We are staying close to home. Doing my menu planning and checking out some new blogs. Adding some new ones to my blog lines......Have a grand day friends!
Saturday, September 01, 2007
Some days you just gotta take time for yourself and for girlfriends......
All my girlfriends or rather most of my girlfriends work. I'm the only stay at home mom. They respect my choice though. My girlfriends are accountants, insurance agents, hairdressers, teachers, Engineers, Physical therapists, and me. They or most of them have degrees.....and the beauty is we can help each other out in certain areas in life.....but as I laid on my raft today in the pool with my girlfriends at our slumber party and looked into the beautiful blue sky on this 100 acre farm in the middle of no where......I thought to myself...what am I to them? I stay home and clean diapers, wash clothes, cook dinner, run my kids everywhere......what can they possibly get from me? As they joked and talked I listened to one say well.....we have K who is an accountant...J is an insurance agent....K is a teacher and J is one too.....D is a hairdresser...E works for an University......S is an Engineer....and K is a physical therapist....we can all give each other advice on different topics....as they got to me.....they paused....K speaks up and says Jen is a professional counselor..always there to listen and solve our problems....the mother hen. I thought for a moment...hmmmmm....the mother hen. See I'm the oldest of them....I guess they look to me for advice..maybe I have been there and done it or maybe they seek my opinion on what I would do. I'm not really sure. But I look at these women and I know each one has a great quality and that is why I'am their friend.
I guess in life you can pick and choose your friends.....my close ones work. And I do not. And they respect me. And I respect them. Too bad I don't get paid for professional counseling. Maybe I should start charging by the hour.