September 11th


I thought I would participate in this....I thought it was a great idea by Shannon @Rocks in my Dryer.......please go on over and read everyone's inspiring stories...this is a day we all will never forget.
This is my story....
We had just went to Panama City Beach, Florida for vacation......that sad Tuesday morning...Madison was laying in our bed while Scott was making coffee and I was sitting on the balcony watching the ocean......when Madison ran from the bedroom (age 4 at the time) yelling a plane hit two big buildings in New York City.....Scott looks at me and says What did she say????? I turned on the tv in the living room and tower 1 had already been struck....Madison saw this one.....and about this time tower 2 was being hit live......at this moment my mom is calling us saying "we are being hit by terrorist" get home today. I remember making breakfast and eating in front of the tv and making lunch and eating in front of the tv and same for dinner. Madison kept asking...what is happening????? How do you explain this to a 4 year old.....so I took her down to the pool and ocean to keep her mind and mine off of the daily events......no one I repeat on one was out of their condos this day.....it was like a ghost town.....we left to come home on Thursday....2 days short on our vacation...my mom wanted us home .....it was all over the radio that 10 long hours home...we just couldn't get away from it. I remember crying.......I remember praying.....but most of all I remember little Madison asking...Why?????? To this day when the song "Where were you when the world stopped turning" by Alan Jackson comes on Madison stops and says Panama City Beach. Fl.....yes she does remember and so do I.

Comments

Susanne said…
That is amazing. Your little girl is very sensitive! Thanks for sharing your memories.
Overwhelmed! said…
I can't even imagine how you would try to explain something so tragic to a 4 year old. How very hard!

Thank you for sharing your story and for commenting on my 911 remembrances.

That is too wild that your sister got a book from the World Trade Center 6 days after the towers collapsed!
Barb said…
One of the saddest things about all this is that our little ones had to try to process it. I can't imagine how this made a four year old feel. I was worried about MY girls and they were in college.
Ms. Kathleen said…
It is amazing what gets embedded in the minds of our children. Thank you for sharing such a memory. I posted mine as well.